MOL, PayPal launch prepaid card for online shopping and gaming
The MOL PayPal - The Digital Card
PayPal and MOL AccessPortal Berhad (MOL) have announced a new prepaid card called the MOL PayPal - The Digital Card that can be used for online shopping and gaming by Malaysian consumers.
Issued by EON Bank Berhad, this is the first co-branded prepaid card for PayPal and MOL in the Asia Pacific region and will be available initially in Malaysia on 19 July 2010.
The new card enables Malaysians to fund a PayPal account, which can be used to shop on millions of websites worldwide or to easily reload MOLPoints to purchase online games, products and services -- all without the need of a credit card.
Users don´t need to enter their financial information every time they purchase an item online -- they just click on the PayPal button, enter their email and password and approve the purchase.
In addition, PayPal´s Buyer Protection policy provides a full refund for eligible items if users do not receive the items they purchased.
"We believe Asian countries such as Malaysia can take the lead in driving digital trends. The new prepaid card co-branded by MOL and PayPal will enable many more people to embrace a digital lifestyle and use computers and the Internet to shop and have fun," said Ganesh Kumar Bangah, president and chief executive officer for MOL.
The Digital Card also allows gamers to immerse themselves in rich online worlds such as the ultra-popular MMORPG, World of Warcraft. MOL has over 200 game titles under its belt.
The card can be topped up at more than 15,000 physical locations around the country or via online banking, explained Elias Ghanem, General Manager, PayPal Southeast Asia & India.
"Malaysians can also get a wide range of shopping benefits and gaming rewards for using The Digital Card," he added.
Shopping benefits include:
Gaming rewards for first-time use include:
- A RM15 rebate for their first transaction of at least RM150 with their PayPal account, valid until 31 August 2010.
- Offers from PayPal merchants worldwide.
- Currency conversion for online shopping.
- Accepted worldwide by Visa card merchants.
Gaming rewards for lifetime use include:
- If card holders use PayPal to reload their MOL member account with a minimum of RM150 in a single transaction by 31 August 2010, they will receive 1,500 MOLPoints + 5% MOLPoints bonus (minimum of 750 MOLPoints).
- If card holders reload their MOLPoints with PayPal´s pre-approval reload feature, they will receive 5% MOLPoints bonus (minimum of 750 MOLPoints).
- With the potential to receive 3,000 MOLPoints or more for first-time use, card holders can buy exciting in-game products from MOL such as weapons, armour and special powers.
- Every time card holders use PayPal to reload their MOL member accounts, they will receive additional 5% MOLPoints bonus (equivalent to 5 MOLPoints for every RM1 they reload through PayPal).
The MOL PayPal - The Digital Card retails for RM15. It can either be purchased in 7-Eleven stores nationwide starting on Monday, July 19, 2010, or applied online and picked up and signed for at EON Bank branches once the application is approved.
A special preview of the card will be available at the National World Cyber Games held at Mid Valley Exhibition Centre in Kuala Lumpur from July 16-18, 2010.
Published Date : 15 July 2010
Source : MOL & PayPal press release